19 Mar Preventing Back Pain
Back pain is a leading cause of missed work. This common, frustrating condition has numerous causes. Read on to learn some tips for keeping your back as healthy as possible.
7 Tips for Back Pain Relief El Segundo
- Use Proper Mechanics: Use your legs, not your back, when lifting objects, especially heavy ones. Also, make sure to bend your knees, keep your back straight, and hold the object close to your body. Better yet, ask for assistance when lifting anything heavy. Avoid any movements that twist your back or cause you to strain.
- Exercise Regularly: Consistent low-impact exercise can improve your endurance and strength, allowing your back muscles to function better. It is important to work with a qualified chiropractor to determine activities that will not jolt or strain your body. Swimming and walking are both excellent options. To keep your muscles limber, consider massage therapy in El Segundo.
- Improve Your Flexibility: Flexible upper legs and hips help keep your pelvic bones aligned and can help your back feel better. Chiropractics in El Segundo can help you determine which flexibility exercises will be beneficial to you.
- Stand smart: Since good posture can help decrease the amount of stress your back muscles are under, avoid slouching and be sure to keep your pelvis in a neutral position. If you need to stand for an extended period of time, try placing one foot on a footstool and alternating feet every so often. This will help relieve your back by supporting some of the load.
- Sit smart: Find a seat that offers suitable support for your lower back, comfortable armrests, and a base that swivels. Consider placing a rolled towel or pillow behind your lower back to help support its normal curve. Make sure your hips and knees remain level. Every 30 minutes or so, get up and walk around for a minute or two. When sitting, shift your position often. A chiropractor El Segundo can even help you find the best chair for your back.
- Maintain a Proper Weight: If you do not maintain a proper weight, you can endure excess stress and strain on your back.
- Avoid Smoking: While most people are well aware of smoking’s detrimental effect on the lungs, few realize that it also decreases blood flow to the low spine. This reduced blood flow prevents the disks from receiving adequate nutrients. Smoking also decreases your body’s ability to heal itself.