Therapeutic massage therapy in El Segundo is more than a treatment for tissue aches, pain, and injuries associated with recreational activities. It can also improve your mood and combat depression. If you were diagnosed, massage therapy may not cure your condition, but it can provide relief for the physical symptoms associated with it.
On or off the field, stress and anxiety can take a toll on one’s body. Stress alone results in more than 90% of illnesses according to Mayo Clinic. Stay proactive in safeguarding your health by scheduling a massage with a chiropractor in El Segundo.
What Is Massage Therapy?
During your visit, a massage therapist will work to release pressure from stiff muscles and tissues. If you are an athlete or proactive individual, massages have become a necessity after a great workout. As one of the integral components of sports medicine, a trained specialist will care for the wear-and-tear of even the slightest injuries. The psychological benefits are a bonus in the process.
Massage therapy has been a common practice in China for centuries. As practitioners in the U.S. adapted to this holistic regimen, they found that it helped ease feelings of depression. Physical touch releases hormones to improve your mood, while the massage calms your mind and resolves aches and pains.
Massage Therapy and Depression
In one appointment (full 60-minute massage), it can lower stress levels by 30%. When cortisol and serotonin levels are low, your body can fight off feelings of anxiety, stress, and sadness. In other words, it works to restore an emotional balance. Simultaneously, an El Segundo massage therapist will work out the tension in your muscles to increase blood flow and alleviate:
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Muscle aches
- Fatigue (in some cases)
Types of Massage Therapy
During massage therapy, your therapist will apply pressure or stretch out the muscles in your body. Before starting, you will meet to discuss what kind of massage you seek and your level of comfort. A few involve over-the-clothes touching, while others offer direct contact with your skin.
At Premiere Chiropractic & Sports Medicine a massage in El Segundo may be able to incorporate acupuncture needles for an immersive experience. Common types of massage styles you may come across are:
- Swedish massage – your therapist applies circular kneading motions over your muscles.
- Chair massage – you sit on a chair, leaning forward while a therapist rubs your back. It is a great introduction to massage. Sessions are often short, and no clothing is removed.
- Deep tissue massage – If you have tight muscles caused by extreme sports or stress this massage focuses on the muscles closest to your bones.
- Shiatsu – In this massage, you pinpoint a specific area on your body that needs relief. Like acupuncture, your therapist will apply direct, firm pressure.
- Reflexology – In this massage pressure is applied to your feet. There is a belief that it corresponds or transfers to other systems and organs in your body.
- Aromatherapy – Why not try a combined massage with scented oils? It reduces stress and boosts energy.
- Hot stone massage – Unlike the rest, your therapist will place hot stones along your body to help you relax. Pressure is applied simultaneously to work out the knots.
Sports massage therapists are familiar with each muscle, and how they are affected by specific movements. Swedish massage is frequently used the most.
When the massage is performed by a trained professional, you will find it provides you with satisfaction after the first session. At most clinics, you may be able to request a combined procedure for maximum results. As an athlete, massages can help you get into shape faster or recover from heavy workouts as you push through your physical limits. However, it is important to keep in mind that massage therapy should not be a replacement for conventional depression treatment. It simply works to balance your emotions and help you feel like the best version of yourself.