21 Mar Helpful Stretches for Sciatica Pain Relief
Excruciating and debilitating pain along your spine are signs of sciatic nerve pain. If you have a ruptured disk, spinal stenosis, or another injury, it can rupture the lower back and hips. Outside of visiting a chiropractor in El Segundo, you can try a few of the following exercises at home after guided approval from a physical therapist or chiropractor.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
Have discomfort and tightness in the hamstring?
- Extend your right foot up on an elevated surface at or below hip level. A chair, counter, or staircase will work simply fine. Try to flex your foot to straighten your toes and legs.
- Bend forward toward the foot for a deep, full stretch. Make sure not to push yourself too far, or the pain will worsen.
- Release the hip (raised leg) downward. Using a yoga strap or exercise band will ease you through the process.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Sitting Spinal Stretch
Sciatica pain is triggered when the spine compresses. A chiropractor would recommend stretching to release pressure on the sciatic nerve when possible.
- In this exercise, sit on the ground with your legs extended straight, feet upward.
- Bend the right knee and place your foot on the floor (flat) outside the other knee.
- Place your left elbow on the other side of your right knee and turn toward the right.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat three times before working on the other leg.
Knee to Opposite Shoulder
Want to loosen the gluteal and piriformis muscles? Relieve inflammation pressed on the sciatic nerve by:
- Lying on your back with your legs extended and feet facing up.
- Bend the right leg and wrap your hands around your knee.
- As you gently pull your leg toward your left shoulder, hold for 30 seconds. It should be an alleviating stretch, not painful.
- Repeat three times before switching legs.
- Kneel your entire body on the floor.
- Lift your right leg and move it forward (in front of your body). Lower legs remain on the ground, horizontal. The right foot should get placed in front of the left knee.
- Stretch the left leg behind you on the floor completely, the foot pointing back.
- Shift body weight gradually from arms to legs before sitting up straight with your hands on either side of your legs.
- Repeat on the other side as needed.
- Sit on the floor with legs extended and straightened.
- Bend the right leg and move your right ankle to the top of the left knee.
- Lean forward to allow your body to meet the top of the thigh. You will feel a stretch around the area of your lower back and glutes.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds and repeat as needed.
Reclining Pigeon Pose
Pigeon pose opens the hips. This pose may be the best one to start with if this is your first time. It usually gets instructed by a physical therapist.
- Lay on your back. Bring your right leg up to a right angle and lock your fingers behind the thigh.
- Lift the left leg and place your right ankle on top of the left knee.
- Hold for a few moments to stretch small piriformis muscles.
- Repeat as needed with the other leg.
Visit a Chiropractor!
The goal of each stretch is to identify the parts of your body with restricted movement. It will be a great indicator of how damaged the sciatic nerve has become. Additionally, it rotates the hip for temporary alleviation until you meet with an experienced chiropractor for sciatica pain relief in El Segundo.